Skip to content
Curtin University
Vice-Chancellor
Note to staff

16 December 2014

Sydney hostage siege

We were all alarmed yesterday by the news of the hostage situation in Martin Place in central Sydney, and very distressed to hear this morning that two of the hostages lost their lives in this shocking incident.

As far as we can tell, no-one from the Curtin Sydney Campus is directly impacted, however the Campus has made counselling services available for students and staff. We have also contacted all staff and students who were in Sydney on Curtin business to ensure they are safe.

While information on this tragedy is still emerging, I think it is a timely reminder to show strong support to our friends and colleagues within our own wonderful multicultural environment that we value so highly.

I remind staff and students who may feel distressed by this incident of the support offered by the University’s Counselling Service, which can be accessed on 9266 7850 or after hours on 9266 4444.

I would like to thank all the staff who were, and continue to be, involved in checking on the wellbeing of our staff and students in relation to this incident.

I would also like to acknowledge some of our academic staff, particularly Anne Aly and Alexey Muraviev who spent much of their time over the last 24 hours providing expert commentary to local and international media as the situation unfolded.

1. Peter Newman December 16, 2014 7:38pm

Thanks for your comment. I watched the final siege last night and wondered how Australia would react. Recognising and celebrating our multicultural Australia at this time is all that we should do. I was very moved by the Ride With Me campaign in Sydney. I was proud to be Australian

2. Carmen Jacques December 17, 2014 8:01am

Thank you for your sensitive response. I also was very moved by the ride with me campaign. It is wonderful to hear a positive voice and reaction to such horrible events.

3. Saliha Kerslake December 17, 2014 8:43am

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I was heartbroken when I heard the news yesterday morning coming into work and to see the flags on Campus at half-mast. I echo the sentiments above and am proud of this Country we all call home. #illridewithyou

4. Sahra Abdi December 17, 2014 9:11am

Thank you. I was also moved by the #iwilridewithyou movement. Its a wonderful way to response.

5. Dora Marinova December 17, 2014 1:58pm

I watched the live broadcast on TV. Nonja Peters from CUSP was evacuated from the State Library at the start of the hostage and she shared her experience of the event which was very different from mine.

This event changed Australia and it is only going to make our commitment to multiculturalism stronger.

6. Anne Aly December 18, 2014 4:32pm

I would like to thank the Vice Chancellor and all the Curtin Staff who contacted me and checked on my wellbeing throughout this tragic incident while I was in Sydney. It was an emotionally and physically exhausting time made somewhat easier by the kindness and generosity of Curtin colleagues.
    I would particularly like to extend my thanks to the Curtin media team. Their assistance in handling the indundation of media requests was invaluable.