Skip to content
Curtin University
Vice-Chancellor
Note to staff

20 January 2015

Vale Sally Webster

It is with much sadness that I note the passing of Sally Webster who recently retired from the University after many years of service.

Sally was a graduate of the School of Social Work and later returned to Curtin to work in Public Relations and Ethics Equity and Social Justice. Sally’s passion for social justice and inclusion, together with her energy and enthusiasm, played a key role in helping to create the inclusive environment at Curtin. In 2014, Sally was recognised at the National Pride in Diversity Awards, as the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) Workplace Inclusion Champion for her work at Curtin.

On behalf of the Curtin community, I extend our deepest sympathy to Sally’s family, friends and colleagues.

Vale Allan Peachment

I also regret to inform staff that Associate Professor Allan Peachment passed away late last year.

Allan joined Curtin in 1979 and progressed from Lecturer to Associate Professor in the School of Marketing. He spent over two decades at Curtin teaching and researching public administration before retiring in 2002. He later returned as an Adjunct Professor until 2005.

I send our sincere condolences to Allan’s family, friends and colleagues.

1. Luke Webster January 20, 2015 3:49pm

On behalf of Mum (Sally) and my family I’d like to say a very big thank you to the Curtin Community for your support for Mum, particularly over the past few years and the months leading up to Christmas. It made her feel very loved and happy. Thank you also for the support given to me and my family. We’ve heard from so many people around Curtin sending messages of love and support. Mum worked at Curtin for the last 25 years so the University was a massive part of her life (as well as mine). The ongoing support we’ve received is a reflection of how wonderful our community is and I am grateful to continue to be a part of it. Thank you all.

2. Cheryl Stickels January 20, 2015 4:26pm

So lovely to have you here at Curtin (or the ‘Family Firm’ as you know it), Luke, doing the very people-centred things that Sally revelled in. Seems like she’s very close by.
    Thank you for letting us be a part of her farewell.
    Kind regards
    Cheryl

3. Vicki Ward January 21, 2015 9:49am

Sally will be always in our hearts and minds for the exceptional work she did at Curtin over such a long period and for thinking of Curtin as the ‘Family Firm’. Wonderful for us to now have Luke with us and in particular being part of the Curtin AHEAD team and continuing the work his Mum was so passionate about. As Cheryl says it is lovely to have Luke at Curtin. Sally has been an inspiration to all of us in EESJ and each of us has benefitted from wisdom.

4. Stuart McDonald January 21, 2015 1:53pm

I worked alongside Sally near on 25 years ago for less than a year, for a moment when she worked at the Robertson Library. It was rare to run into Sally on campus in the intervening years, but when our paths crossed there was always time for engagement. I remember. Joy was to be had. Bon voyage Sally.
    Deepest sympathy to those she loved.

5. Helen Verhoeff January 22, 2015 3:56pm

Very sad to read of the passing of both Sally and Allan.

Sally and I were Curtin office ‘neighbours’ for a few years, and was a lovely warm and approachable colleague. What a wonderful legacy she left at Curtin.

I was also very fond of Allan Peachment – a real gentleman and I enjoyed the many chats we had about public sector management. He had a marvellous mind and was very happy to share his insights.

6. Ann Payne March 12, 2015 4:13pm

Sally was one of the most generous, supportive and positive people I ever had the pleasure to meet at Curtin. Sally always had time to share a smile and a cheerful bright hello…God bless you Sally, you will be so sadly missed.

So sad to hear of Allan’s passing. I had the pleasure of working with Allan for a few years in CBS. He was a true gentleman in every word and was often contacted by the media to provide his comments on any political issues that hit the news. God Bless you Allan. RIP.