Skip to content
Curtin University
Vice-Chancellor
Note to staff

4 October 2012

Vale Professor Tom Stannage

It is with great sadness that I advise that Professor Tom Stannage, former Executive Dean of the Division of Humanities, passed away this morning

Professor Stannage was a highly valued and respected member of the Curtin community as well as the larger academic community. He was a man of great integrity, intellect and compassion. He will be missed by many.

Professor Stannage led the Division of Humanities (as it was then known) from 1999 to 2006 – a period of great change in the higher education sector.  It was largely thanks to Professor Stannage’s leadership during this time that we have such a strong Faculty of Humanities today.

Professor Stannage received the inaugural Prime Minister’s Award for the Australian University Teacher of the Year in 1997 and was also awarded an Order of Australia in the same year.

Details for the funeral service will be provided when they become known.

My sympathies are with his family, friends and colleagues at this time.

1. Harry Bloch October 4, 2012 8:24pm

This a very sad shock, I was talking with Tom after a public lecture at CGSB last week and he was hale and hearty. He was reminiscing about his days as Executive Dean of Humanities and his attempts to build links between Humanities and CBS. He was not only an outstanding academic but a warm and generous human being.

2. Dawn Bennett October 4, 2012 9:42pm

Tom is the reason I became an academic. He was a true friend and a wonderful colleague, and he will be truly missed. Our thoughts go to Maria at this very sad time.

3. Marina Lommerse October 4, 2012 11:05pm

I found Tom to be a visionary and supportive leader in the Humanities. He was very human, approachable and believed in people and what they could offer. What a sad day and a great loss. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

4. Bobbie Oliver October 5, 2012 8:53am

I knew Tom for 25 years as a teacher, mentor, PH.D. supervisor and very dear friend. He inspired in me a love of teaching and of Australian History. The greatest tribute that Curtin University could pay him would be to support and maintain a strong History discipline.

5. Liz Byrski October 5, 2012 10:28am

I was saddened and shocked by this news. I saw Tom just a few weeks ago and we talked about the pleasures of ageing, of grandchildren and time to do the really important things in life. He seemed so fit and vibrant and so very much at peace with the world. What a very sad loss.

6. Ann Paterson October 5, 2012 10:35am

There’s an interesting obituary of Professor Stannage on page 20 of today’s West. I’m happy to email it to those interested as I don’t seem able to attach it here.

7. Mary Anne Schooling October 5, 2012 11:02am

Here is the URL for the obituary of Prof Stannage:

8. Alexandra McManus October 6, 2012 12:04pm

Tom was an inspiring person to work with and a great example of what being collegiate research was all about. I will remember him always with a smile. My sincere sympathies to his loved ones.

9. John Byron October 7, 2012 5:22pm

What a shock to lose one of the genuinely terrific human beings. I knew Tom beforehand, a little, but really came to know him when we served together on the inaugural CHASS board in 2004-5. What a smart, considerate, ethical and wise man. He was a creative thinker, a caring soul, a passionate advocate and an elegant and articulate communicator. It is just so incredibly sad.