Curtin University
Curtin remembers
  • Home
  • Project Details

Dr Wayne Clark- update

Dr wayne clarkTuesday Morning 27th September we were deeply saddened to hear of the sudden passing of Dr Wayne Clark. Wayne was the Director, Quality Assurance in the Faculty of Science and Engineering. He was a highly valued member of staff who was regarded fondly, and with deep respect, by his colleagues in the Faculty and, more broadly, across the University.

Wayne joined the Faculty of Science and Engineering in March 2014 as Director, Student Engagement and was then appointed Acting Dean, Teaching and Learning before taking on his current role as Director, Quality Assurance. Prior to joining Curtin he held a number of senior roles at universities in both New Zealand and South Africa, including as Acting Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) at the Botswana International University of Science and Technology.

Our deepest sympathy and condolences are with his wife, daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons during this very difficult time.

A memorial service for Dr Clark will be held Wednesday the 19th of October with a tree planting ceremony between building 205 and 215. We will be meeting at the pavilion outside building 215 if it is raining.

If you have any questions please contact the Multi-faith office

If you would like to leave a message of condolence below, please log in to do so.

1. Carla Boehl September 29, 2016 4:46pm

último adeus

2. Brian Evans September 29, 2016 5:38pm

Although I only knew Wayne in a business sense, I found him to be a lovely person, warm, friendly and very logical in his thinking with a good knowledge of politics. He was great company on our Faculty delegation trip to India- amusing and intelligent with unexpected insights. Wayne, I will always remember you with fond memories. I am sure you rest in a wonderful place- bon voyage good friend……..Brian

3. Tilak Chandratilleke September 29, 2016 5:56pm

I am very deeply saddened by the unbelievable news of Wayne’s sudden departure.
      I have had a very close working relationship with Wayne through SLIIT (Curtin off-shore programme in Sri Lanka) accreditation matters and appraisals of delivery quality, and many inspirations discussions on academic life. On behalf of my Department, I am gratefully to Wayne for his valuable advice and contribution in resolving many student issues and grievances. Even at SLIIT, he was regarded as a “gentle and humble” individual. I have received several sympathy messages from SLIIT expressing their grief and sadness.
      Our deepest sympathy and condolences to Wayne’s family on this untimely loss.
      Tilak Chandratilleke
      Head-Department of Mechanical Engineering

4. Sheldon Smith September 29, 2016 6:03pm

Dear Rencia and family

It is with great sadness that I write this. I too, will miss my frequent coffee chats, catch ups and banter with Wayne. For those who don’t know Wayne and I shared a heritage and a commonality. We were both from the same small town (Benoni in Gauteng, South Africa) we both went to the same high school and we shared a passion for education within the African and Southern Aftican context.

I will miss our serious talk about all things Curtin, policy, procedure and paperwork compliance. However, I will miss him as my mentor, a person who understood where I was from, who understood who and what I was and supported where I was going. Wayne and I agreed on many things and had common views on most everything. Where we had differences, these merely highlighted mutual respect for those differences and allowed each of us to see things from another’s point of view.

We would talk fondly about the building of your home – even when the fires were on your doorstep, fondly of family and make jokes in our ‘secret’ language. Sharing a history, culture and a Second language with someone in another country is special and it meant (and still means) a lot to me.

Wayne always had the tastiest snacks to share and was always very proud of Rencia’s skill in the kitchen. I know that the bits I tasted would definitely get the stamp of approval from my mum and my granny and

I will certainly miss him on his way past my office. I’ll miss the sounding board – the person who would listen to my crazy ideas. I know you that there is no way to describe how much his family will miss him but I’d like them to know that he was a great man to work for. A great man to work with. A great man to strategise with. A great man to reason with. A wise man. A good man. A friend.

With lots of love.

Sheldon, D and family.

Ek stuur goeie gedagtes na Wayne. Al is hy waar.

5. Linden Hall September 29, 2016 6:06pm

Wayne was everyone’s champion. No matter what our role in the University he made us feel special and important and valued. His death has brought tears to more people than I suspect even he would have imagined. What a wonderful man to have known! Safe travels, Wayne.

6. Sam Spearing September 29, 2016 6:51pm

So very sad. Wayne was an absolute professional and gentleman. He was a pleasure to work with and an amazing source of knowledge and helped me numerous times to navigate through difficult situations. Nothing was ever too much for him! He leaves a hole that will be very hard to fill. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, it is tragic.
      Best wishes, Sam

7. Jason Giancono September 29, 2016 9:08pm

I worked quite a bit with Wayne while I was Science and Engineering Representative in 2014 and Guild President last year and in all my time at Curtin I don’t think I have come across a staff member who was as committed to their work as Wayne was. You could tell he genuinely cared about the students at Curtin and I remember him as a constant source of common sense on the committees we were both members. He will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family.

8. Kym Sher September 29, 2016 9:47pm

Wayne had such a huge impact on my life at Curtin! A friend, mentor and amazing colleague who was always there to lend an ear and a shoulder when needed. He made me feel valued and special and I will always remember his smile and his great sense of humour. I am heartbroken! Curtin won’t be the same without him.

9. Nicoleta Maynard September 30, 2016 1:41am

A great colleague, always helpful and with a very positive attitude. He will be greatly missed. Our sincere condolences to the family. Nicoleta and Clive Maynard

10. Mofazzal Hossain September 30, 2016 9:46am

I am very shocked and saddened by the news of sudden departure of an amazing colleague, great man, Dr. Wayne Clark. I worked closely with Wayne on different matters (e.g. teaching and learning, academic integrity, Assam education projects, accreditation etc). He was a great company on our trip to India. Wayne had been always helpful and very positive in every aspects. On behalf of my Department, I am truly grateful to Wayne for his valuable advice and contribution in resolving many students’ issues. Our deepest sympathy and condolences to Wayne’s family for such an irreversible loss.

11. Nancy Antoine September 30, 2016 2:48pm

Dear Renchia, Michelle, Rhys and Boys,

Wayne had such a great impact on so many of us during his short time at Curtin. He was a fantastic colleague but more importantly a warm, loving, caring friend, who was always happy and ready to have a chat. Wayne and I worked closely together when he began acting in the role of Dean T&L in 2014 and we also developed a special friendship. He was such a philosopher and has always provided me and many others with so many good advice about life in general. Wayne and I use to chat a lot about our week-ends and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about his home projects and what he had been up to. He was an amazing human being that possessed so many talents. He was a tiler, carpenter, plumber, painter, gardener, pizza maker and more importantly loved his family, especially his two grand-sons. I remember always teasing him, saying “can you come to my house when all your work is finished”. And he would just laugh cheekily about it. Wayne also loved socialising and initiated a series of social events for the Faculty Office in 2014, where we celebrated five Fridays in August, with each Friday having a different theme. One of which we had to each wear a “onesie” and Wayne was in a Superman Onesie, it was hilarious! More recently, I am so glad that Wayne and Renchia had the opportunity to visit my home (Mauritius), and I was so pleased when he returned and told me that he had a great time and thought that it was “beautiful and exotic”. Wayne hated to be far from the Faculty Office which he referred to as HQ (Head Quarters) and would always make a point of dropping by our office on his way to meetings, just to say hello and have a chat and sometimes would even sit and have lunch with us.
      Wayne, I miss you so much already. I expect the kitchen door to open and hear your voice and see that lovely cheeky face of yours….but that’s far from the truth. I hope you are looking down on us all and thinking of us. Love you dear friend and colleague, rest in peace now.

12. Vishnu Pareek September 30, 2016 3:31pm

As a Wicket Keeper, Wayne was always ready to collect my jokes however googly/doosra they could be! He was of course immaculate in professional matters – always very helping – rest in peace Wayne.

13. Chris Ford September 30, 2016 4:52pm

So saddened to hear of Wayne’s passing. I worked with him on several issues and he always came across as having a real interest in student and staff wellbeing, a wry sense of humour and a genuine approachability. Deepest condolences to his family and friends – rest in peace, Wayne.

14. Sonya McCarthy October 3, 2016 7:52am

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Wayne’s passing. I had only known Wayne for a short time, we had worked in the same building for the past six months and became friends through Wayne introducing himself and from there on popping in for a catch up early every morning on the way to make his porridge or on the way out to meetings. Wayne was a warm and friendly soul and offered great counsel to me through sharing his experiences throughout our friendship. I will truly miss our ad hoc in depth conversations and seeing his smiling face every morning. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace Wayne.

15. Tony Lucey October 3, 2016 11:05am

Shocked and saddened to hear of Wayne’s passing away with so much left to offer and to live for. I will miss Wayne both as a professional and as the friend he had become over his time at Curtin. Wayne was remarkably conscientious in his work and a man of principles, principles to which he adhered in a firm but respectful and collegial way. He will not be forgotten. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Tony Lucey (Dean of Engineering and Head: School of Civil and Mechanical Engineering).

16. Shelley Yeo October 4, 2016 8:32am

I feel deeply saddened by the loss of my esteemed colleague and can only image the loss felt by his family. Although I only work part-time, I have worked closely with Wayne for two years and have shared many anecdotes and philosophical viewpoints about teaching and learning with him over those two years. I cannot believe that they have come to an end in this way. We had so much work still to do.
      I will miss Wayne’s smile, his sense of humour, his broad knowledge of education, his compassion for students in trouble and his ways of understanding the world.
      My deepest sympathy to all his family. You have lost a real gentleman and a lovely human being.

17. Natalie Lloyd October 4, 2016 10:34am

I am so saddened to now hear of Wayne’s death, having been away last week. I came to know Wayne professionally through a number of investigations and admired his thoughtful, thorough, balanced and principled judgement which never lost sight of the people involved and the importance of supporting all concerned – Curtin’s own King Solomon. After travelling to India for the Assam Project I came to know Wayne more and highly regarded his care and friendship at work – always ready for a coffee and chat, an intelligent and encouraging mentor and friend I will miss. May your family be blessed with support and love, confident in the knowledge that Wayne’s beautiful spirit positively impacted many lives at work. I will miss you. Rest in peace dear Wayne.

18. Vicki-Lee Pride October 18, 2016 9:09am

I am shocked and saddened to hear of Wayne’s passing. He was a joy to work with, always considerate, helpful and knowledgeable. My thoughts are with Wayne’s family during this difficult time.

19. Trish Ransfield October 19, 2016 2:50pm

Wayne’s passing has been such a huge shock and I am only now coming to terms with it. Wayne was a great friend and colleague with a truly wicked sense of humor. We shared many laughs and I truly valued his opinion. I feel blessed to have been able to spend a bit of time today with his dear wife Renica, daughter Michelle and son-in-law Reece following Wayne’s memorial, he spoke to me often of them and his two adored grandsons. It was so lovely to hear little tidbits about their lives together and some of their fondest memories. I miss you Wayne. Rest in Peace my lovely friend. “Bye Baby!” XXX