For much of its 15 year existence, The Learning Centre has functioned as a student learning support area working with several University areas, but has lacked a central focus and critical mass. However, in 2017 The Learning Centre found a new home in Curtin University Library. The complementary resources and skills of each area have opened up new opportunities for student learning support.
The shared goal of the Library and The Learning Centre is to improve support for students, regardless of location or study mode. With The Learning Centre and Library working together, we can:
- better coordinate support offered directly to Curtin University’s faculties – especially for research students,
- cross-promote our skills development resources and activities, and
- develop and refine online learning resources such as interactive programs, tutorials and library guides.
The Learning Centre and Library working together will influence both areas going forward. Our future focuses will include:
- Enabling a seamless approach to services, strong with a learner-centred skills development focus.
- Re-clustering the suite of online learning resources offered, providing a broad spectrum of interrelated skills development.
- Considering new activities to improve our support and help students succeed.
- Embracing the Curtin Library Makerspace ethos by inviting imagination, creativity and risk taking.
By drawing on the unique skills of both the Library and The Learning Centre informed by best practice, we can combine this to put an absolute focus on the needs of Curtin’s students.